Sunday, August 2, 2009

Food Processor Fun!

I love food processors. They can take a whole massive amount of basil...

(plus a few other ingredients)...

and turn it into this tiny (but wonderful) amount of stuff. Pesto, to be precise.

Much as I love the food processor I've had for a year now, I still haven't abandoned this.

It's a salsa maker that they sell at fairs and flea markets. Evan and I saw one years ago at the fair, and watched the demonstration, and tasted the salsa. It was so good, but Evan didn't think we needed one. Well, I (and by proxy, Evan) regretted that decision all year. So the next year, I bought one. It is the handiest onion chopper ever...

And it still does the best job of making salsa of anything out there! (Sorry, Most Beloved Food Processor.)

This is some of the green-leaf lettuce I bought at the farmer's market.

We made taco salad for supper the other night, it was all so fresh and yummy! I need to make lots more fresh salsa. My pesto is sitting in the fridge, too, waiting for me to use it. I often make grilled chicken and cheese sandwiches with pesto, or put it on a white pizza. We'll have to see what I actually do with it this week!

Pesto
This recipe is from Process This! by Jean Anderson. I got that book out of the library when I first got my food processor, and it was so helpful I actually went out and bought a copy.
  • 2 quarts loosely packed tender young basil leaves (two humongous bunches at the farmer's market should do it), washed and dried.
  • 1/3 cup pine nuts
  • 2 large whole cloves garlic, peeled
  • 2 T freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup oil (I ended up using closer to 1/3)
Place all ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor fitted with the medal chopping blade and churn for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and churn 30 seconds longer to form a thick paste. With the motor running, drizzle the olive oil down the feed tube, adding only enough to give the pesto the consistency of prepared mustard. Scoop into a small bowl, press plastic food wrap on top to keep from darkening (I have experience in stating this is a VERY important step!) and refrigerate until needed. Bring to room temperature and stir well before using.

Fresh Salsa
  • Small white onion, chopped and rinsed
  • Juice of one lime
  • 5 Roma tomatoes, or 3 small regular tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
  • 2-3 jalapeno or serrano peppers, seeded if you're a wimp like Evan
  • 1-2 cloves of garlic, peeled
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
Chop it all up in a food processor or the like. My sister Bethaney uses a blender, which makes a very finely chopped salsa. Eat immediately, although it will keep fairly nicely in the fridge.

1 comment:

  1. Perfect, you read my mind! A friend who is in Juneau waiting for her baby to be born has given me her basil plant to "plant sit" and I'd like to make some pesto!!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete