The first recipe is chocolate dirt cake, which gets high marks from kids. I know dirt cake isn't exactly gourmet-- you usually throw some crumbled Oreos, chocolate pudding, and maybe Cool-Whip in and call it good. This recipe has some extras, like cream cheese, that make it yummy enough to serve to adults. You may, however, want to omit the gummy worms in the adult version. They're a little... different.
Marilla liked eating one of the extra Oreos while I made this. She did NOT, however, like me poking the camera in her face instead of getting her out of her high chair the minute she demanded it.
My other recipe is a fudge recipe. It was in our newspaper years ago, and I clipped it out, then didn't make it for three years. Part of the reason was that I had such an easy fudge recipe (Microwave fudge) that it seemed silly to look for another one. Wow, this is definitely worth the extra effort (and extra expense) to make it. It's called "Mamie's Fudge" (it was Mamie Eisenhower's favorite fudge recipe), but I think of it as "Moorish Fudge." One of our friends was here the first time I tried it back in April, and as she cut herself yet another little piece, she said, "This tastes like Moorish fudge." I was desperately trying to rack my brain, wondering if this was really an international delicacy, or whether "Moorish" was some sect like the Amish or something... Then I got that it was "More-ish" fudge because you always want a little more. I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes. Even now, I picture it as "Moorish" in my head.
Chocolate Dirt Cake
- 1 (6 oz.) pkg. instant chocolate pudding
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 3 /4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 12 oz. Cool-Whip, or 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, whipped
- 27 oz. (1 1/2 pkgs.) Oreos (Original or DoubleStuff)
- Gummy worms, optional
Mamie's Fudge (Moorish Fudge)
- 4 1/2 cups sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 can (13 1/2 oz.) evaporated milk
- 2 T butter
- 12 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 12 oz. German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 jar (7 or 8 oz.) marshmallow creme
- 2 cups nuts (if you like nuts in your fudge-- I usually don't!)